Introduction to our grantmaking
Do you need funding for your project?
Supporting the local community through our grants programme is a core part of what we do. Exclusive to the Borough of Bedford, our grants provide essential funding to the groups who run projects to help improve the lives of others.
We have approximately £1 million a year in grant funds that we are able to award to projects that focus on education, recreation and relief. More information about our priorities is available on the grants to organisations page.
Although most of our grants are given to organisations, we also offer a very small number of grants to individuals each year, generally to adults who are returning to education in order to improve their employment prospects.
GRANTS TO ORGANISATIONS
Our grants to organisations must fit one or more of the following charitable objects:
- relief of poverty, sickness or distress
- recreation with a social welfare purpose
WE HAVE A RICH HISTORY OF GRANTMAKING, INVOLVEMENT AND SUPPORT
We are committed to being open and transparent about the organisations we fund. Read more here.
GRANTS TO INDIVIDUALS
This programme aims to significantly improve the financial circumstances or quality of life for low income adults by helping them to access education, leading to a return to work or career change.
Applicants must be adults who:
- Are on a low income
- Are returning to work or planning a career change
- Left formal education at least five years ago
- Are permanent residents of Bedford Borough
UNIVERSITY BURSARY PROGRAMME
If you can answer yes to all of the following questions then you may be eligible to apply for a Harpur Trust University Bursary worth £3,600.
- Are you hoping to go to University but concerned about the cost?
- Will you be aged 19 or under on 31st of August 2022?
- Are you from a low income family?
- Are you looking to study a full time undergraduate or foundation degree course starting in Autumn 2022?
- Have you been a resident in Bedford Borough for at least 2 years?