Grants to Individuals
WANT TO IMPROVE YOUR LIFE CHANCES?
Each year we give a small number of grants to individuals who live in Bedford Borough. This programme aims to significantly improve the financial circumstances or quality of life for low income adults by helping them to access education, leading to a return to work or career change.
To apply, you must:
- be on a low income
- be returning to work or planning a career change
- have left formal education at least five years ago
- be a permanent resident of Bedford Borough for at least 2 years.
What we look for in applicants
Shortlisted applicants are all interviewed by our Grants to Individuals Panel. In the interview we will discuss a number of issues with you, including:
- your motivation for taking the course
- the skills and experience it will provide
- prospects for future employment
- your future plans
- how the course provider and qualification is viewed by the profession/industry you want to work in
What we don't fund
We don’t give grants for PGCE courses or recreational courses, including academic courses taken for recreational purposes only. We only fund people who are part way through a course in exceptional circumstances.
When to apply
Contact us by the end of May if your course starts in September or October. Our Grants to Individuals Panel meets during the summer to consider applications. You should find out if you have been successful by the end of July.
For an informal discussion before you apply, and for guidance on funding for courses starting at other times of year, please contact the grants team on 01234 369500.