We’re here to inspire and support people in the Borough of Bedford to improve their lives.
- We give grants to local community projects
- We offer accommodation for older people
- We support, promote and provide education
- We make social investments.
We are also Bedford’s 3rd largest employers with over 1100 staff.
Each year we award around £1 million in grants to community projects in Bedford Borough.
Supporting our community by giving grants to local projects is core to what we do. This money helps local organisations and individuals to make a difference to their own lives or those of others in the local area. Details of grants made last year can be seen on Our Year page. To see some of projects we’ve supported visit our Past Projects pages – maybe we’ve helped a group that you know.
We own, manage and support the four, independent Harpur Trust Schools:
- Bedford Girls’ School* – a day school for girls aged 7-18
- Bedford Modern School – a day school for boys and girls aged 7-18
- Bedford School – a boarding and day school for boys aged 7-18
- Pilgrims Preparatory School – a nursery and prep school for boys and girls aged 3 months to 7 years
* Bedford Girls’ School has been formed by the merger of Bedford High School for Girls and Dame Alice Harpur School.
Sole Sponsor of the HEART Academies Trust
We have been providing Almshouses in Bedford for over 200 years. Our first ones, in Dame Alice Street, Bedford, were completed in 1802. Today we have nomination rights to over 50 flats across the borough and this will rise to over 70 by 2019 with the anticipated completion of our latest development at the Wixams. We made a significant contribution to Oakway House which opened during the Spring of 2017. This attractive development adds to our portfolio of nomination rights to extra care schemes in and around Bedford, which includes Sir William Harpur House and Dame Alice Court.